Instinctive Shooting Manual
The resource book
for instinctive archers using traditional bows is aimed at those of you who are curious, at those nurturing the same passion, because even the smallest seed contains the tree from which life will sprout.
Instinctive shooting, according to the method I teach, is a balance between instinct and reasoning, which is why we call it “educated instinctive shooting”
This method is the only style of western shooting that applies diaphragmatic breathing to archery.
There is more to archery than meets the eye, it can help you discover a part of yourself as yet unknown and that could provide you with a pleasant surprise.
Giovenale Botta, expert archer in all disciplines and qualified instructor with a diploma awarded by Jean-Marie Coche; founder of the “Armonia” Archery School.
Franca Santagiuliana, archer and pupil of Giovenale Botta.
The following are extracts from the manual:
What is instinctive shooting?
Instinctive shooting is so-called because it does not involve the use of aiming instruments.
The bow must be bare, with no accessories. The arrow is placed at the centre of the bow, on a section of the grip known as the window. The string is pulled back with three fingers, with the index finger above the nock (the part at the end of the arrow into which the string slots) and the middle and ring fingers underneath. The bow is tautened by pushing it forwards and pulling back the string at the same time, tilting the bow and the head slightly, keeping the eyes open. Having rested the index finger keeping the string taut at the corner of the mouth, the arrow is released after a few seconds.
In instinctive shooting, there are no reference points, but one has a broad view of the target. This allows our brain to analyse the space between us and the target and to guide our aim correctly towards it.
One must combine rhythmic and fluid movements with diaphragmatic breathing, allowing one to concentrate better through the benefits of deep breaths.
Which bows are considered traditional?
There are three types of traditional bow: Longbow, Recurve and Historical bow.
The LONG-BOW: a “traditional English longbow” can be straight, similar to a walking stick, when unloaded. The arrows are wooden.
The RECURVE, also known as the “take-down”, is a jointed bow made of wood and fibre.
The recurve bow's two limbs (which constitute the “engine”of the bow) are flat, with the grip situated in the middle of the riser. The arrows can either be wooden or made from aluminium.
The HISTORICAL BOW is made exclusively from wood from one piece of a single tree. This is also true of ancient bows faithfully reconstructed by skilled craftsmen. The string is made from natural fibres such as linen, canvas or silk. The arrows are made from wood, as is the nock at the end of the arrow.
How can one learn to shoot with a bow and arrow?
The “Armonia” Archery School organises a whole range of activities which stimulate learning and improvement in this sporting discipline, including:
• Basic courses for beginners
• Intensive courses for expert archers.
• Individual and group courses, outdoors or indoors; on 3D fields, in the province of Turin, with the possibility of trips to other areas of Italy and abroad.
• Intensive training programmes to prepare for championships and major international competitions.
• Training sessions on specific topics, with both educational and rehabilitative aims.
• Participation in international events in Italy and in Europe.
• Participation in competitions in Austria, and in meetings organised by the “Friends of the Voie Médiane” in France and in Switzerland.
The “5 passi con l’Arco” Manual is available
In Turin at:
- Libreria dello Sport di Luigi Secci in Corso Siccardi 4 - tel. 011533932 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Legolibri in via Maria Vittoria, 31 (P.za Carlina) Tel. 011888975 - email@example.com
- Libreria ZANABONI Corso Vittorio Emanuele, 41 Tel. 0116505516 (Porta Nuova)
- Libreria Gulliver - Via Tripoli ang. Via Boston, 30 - tel. 011352678 firstname.lastname@example.org
- SHERWOOD di Valter Michelin Salomon - Via Madama Cristina, 78 tel. 011 669 27 68 email@example.com
in Bra (CN) at:
- Bonardo S.n.c. Via Vittorio Emanuele, 60 tel. 0172 44200 firstname.lastname@example.org www.bonardo.it
In Col del Lys (TO)
- at Rifugio Yeti Village mobile 0039 3409597234
“Guidare il proprio mentale” di Jean-Marie Coche, traduzione di Giovenale Botta e Franca Santagiuliana, Collana Le frecce di ARCO - Greentime SpA, 2003
“La Disciplina del tiro istintivo fluido con l'arco” di Jean-Marie Coche – Palutan Editrice, Varese 1995